Contribute Your Story to the Benton County Quaranzine!
What are the stories we will remember about this time of pandemic and protest in 2020? What lessons do we want to remember, and how will our choices shape the legacy of these times? Telling our personal truths can help us make meaning of our uncertainty. Imagining our futures can help us collectively shape the path of our altered lives.
Submit a page to the Benton County Quaranzine anthology, so we can gather a collective story from many voices. Corvallis-Benton County Public Libraries will be compiling a zine consisting of submissions from Benton County residents. Write, draw, collage, scrapbook, or in some way document your experience during COVID-19 times. Submit it via mail or email to the Corvallis-Benton County Public Libraries by Monday, August 31st, 2020.
What is a zine?
From Wikipedia, “A zine is a small-circulation self-published work of original or appropriated texts and images, usually reproduced via photocopier. Zines are the product of either a single person or of a very small group, and are popularly photocopied into physical prints for circulation.”
Zines can include writing, artwork, or any other technique that helps you express yourself.
The zine we create will include submissions from people all over Benton County. Submissions will be compiled into a printed zine that will be made available at locations TBD. It will also be made available to share online.
Ideas for Submission
Need inspiration? Here are some prompts to help you think about what you might want to express in your zine pages:
- What has been helpful to you during this time?
- How are you spending your time? What has surprised you?
- In what ways have you given or received care during this time?
- What are the stories you want to tell the next generation about this time?
- What has this time taught you?
- What do you miss most? What do you hope to remember?
- How do you imagine the future? How will you shape it?
- What are your hopes and fears for the future?
- Each submission may be between 1-4 pages (or about 300-1200 words); one page is equivalent to one-half of a letter-size sheet.
- The final zine size will be half-letter size pages (up to 6” x 4.5”). You may create something larger, but it will scaled down to that size in the final book.
- We will be printing in black & white. You may create and submit something in color, but it will be turned into grayscale for printing.
- Please include your first and last name, email address or phone number (your contact information will not be published), and grade level, if a student, with your submission.
- Submissions may be mailed to the address below or emailed to email@example.com (please try to scan at 150 dpi or higher resolution):
Corvallis-Benton County Public Library
645 NW Monroe Ave
Corvallis, OR 97330