The Gazette-Times digital archive on Newspapers.com
Click here for access from inside the library. Remote access is not available.
About this collection
In early 2018 the library’s microfilm collection of the Corvallis Gazette-Times and many of its preceding papers was scanned and digitized by Newspapers.com. Free access to this digital archive is available in the Corvallis-Benton County Public Library and branches. Use a library computer or your own device on the library’s wireless network to find, save, and print articles.
Please note that about 1/3 of the microfilm collection is still only available on microfilm. The microfilm-only collection includes many papers that ran before and during the Corvallis Gazette-Times. To find out which Benton County papers were active during a time period, refer to the newspaper timeline.
Includes the newspapers listed below from 1865 to the present, excluding most recent two months and issues from January 2010 to April 2018.
- Corvallis Gazette
- Corvallis Gazette-Times
- Corvallis Times
- Corvallis Weekly Gazette
- Daily Gazette-Times
- Oregon Union (1897-1899)
- Union Gazette
- Weekly Gazette-Times
These newspapers constitute most of the Benton County papers that eventually became the Corvallis Gazette-Times.
As a rule, any publication with the words Corvallis, Gazette, or Times in the title is included, as is the Oregon Union in its 1897 reincarnation.
Important: Although eight papers are included in the collection, Newspapers.com split the collection in to three parts using just three newspaper names. As such:
- If you want to cite an article, you must check the first page of the newspaper for the correct name.
- If the paper you want is not named on Newspapers.com, it could still be there.
- Always search all three collection parts together. This is the default behavior.
About 1/3 of our newspaper collection is still only on microfilm. Use the microfilm if:
- You want to include other Benton County papers in your search (e.g. Benton Bulletin, Camp Adair Sentry, etc.). To find out if other Benton County papers were active during a time period, refer to the newspaper timeline.
- You need the dates 1857 to 1862 or January 2010 to April 2018.
- You want the best possible reproduction of a photograph. In this case, use the ScanPro2000 microfilm reader/scanner at our Corvallis location.
Search isn’t as reliable for papers published before about 1940. The quality of the microfilm is poor and the Optical Character Recognition technology does not index it well.
If you have questions about this collection, please contact us.