Benton County newspapers on Newspapers.com
Click here for access from inside the library. Remote access is not available.
About this collection
The Corvallis-Benton County Public Library has kept microfilm of different Benton County Newspapers for decades. Newspapers.com has now digitized about three quarters of this collection and granted a license for anyone to access it from within a the Corvallis library (or a branch) at no charge. Because the papers can now be searched, finding an obituary can be as easy as typing “Anita Brown 1934.” Any part of a page can be printed to paper or saved as an image or pdf.
Please note that about 1/4 of the microfilm collection is still only available on microfilm. The microfilm-only collection includes many papers that ran before and during the Corvallis Gazette-Times. To find out which Benton County papers were active during a time period, refer to the newspaper timeline.
Collection scope (1865 to the present)
Includes the Benton County newspapers listed below from 1865 to the present, with a few gaps. The years 2015 and 2016 are absent for now, but will be added later by Newspapers.com. New issues of the Corvallis Gazette-Times and Philomath Express are added regularly, so they remain current to a date about two months ago.
- Corvallis Gazette
- Corvallis Gazette-Times
- Corvallis Times
- Corvallis Weekly Gazette
- Daily Gazette-Times
- Oregon Union (1897-1899)
- Union Gazette
- Weekly Gazette-Times
- Philomath Express
With the exception of the Philomath Express, these newspapers constitute most of the Benton County papers that eventually became the Corvallis Gazette-Times.
Important: Although eight Corvallis papers are included in the collection, Newspapers.com split the collection in to three parts using just three newspaper names. As such:
- If you want to cite an article, you must check the first page of the newspaper for the correct name.
- If the paper you want is not named on Newspapers.com, it may still be there.
- Always search all three collection parts together. This is the default behavior.
About 1/4 of our newspaper collection is still only on microfilm. Use the microfilm if:
- You want to include other Benton County papers in your search (e.g. Benton Bulletin, Camp Adair Sentry, etc.). To find out if other Benton County papers were active during a time period, refer to the newspaper timeline.
- You need the dates 1857 to 1862 or December 2014 to January 2016.
- You want the best possible reproduction of a photograph. In this case, use the ScanPro2000 microfilm reader/scanner at our Corvallis location.
Text searching isn’t as reliable for papers published before about 1940. The quality of the microfilm is poor so the optical character recognition technology can not ‘read’ it completely.
If you have questions about this collection, please contact us.