Fine art in a publicly accessible setting is one of the great resources of any community. The Corvallis-Benton County Public Library Foundation Board of Directors committed itself to raising $50,000 for the integration of art into the design and construction of the new library. Thanks to their hard work, and the generosity of the community, seven wonderful architectural art projects were installed in the library when it opened in 1992. Since that time the Library’s art collection has grown in number from gifts made to honor loved ones to participation in Artists in Education projects. The City of Corvallis Public Arts and Culture Advisory Commission has a Public Art Selection Committee which manages the selection of art pieces for all city facilities and properties. They work with staff on the selection of art for the Library. Those interested in finding out more about art in the Library should contact the Library Director at 766-6928.
- Library materials will have a 4-week check-out period, with 3-week renewal periods.
- Most items can be renewed up to 5 times, except:
- Items with holds and Lucky Day items – no renewals
- Magazines, Maker Kits, STEAM kits, Launchpad tablets – 1 renewal
- DVDs, air quality monitors, kill-a-watt devices, and videogames – 2 renewals
- The loan period for Book Club Bags is 2 months. (Already in a book club? Check out Books for Book Clubs)
- Items may be returned to any Corvallis-Benton County Public Library location. Bookdrops are open 24 hours.
The self-check stations allow you to check out your own materials and provide you with a checkout receipt. (You also have the option of having receipts emailed to you.) There is also a Spanish language option.
Patron Loan History
Patron Loan History Have you ever wanted to keep a list of what you have checked out in the past from the Library? Now you can! The Library’s computer system features the ability to turn this function on just for you. If you don’t like it, you can ask to have it turned off.
The information is accessible only to you from your account on the library’s web page.
Completed loan history applications may be submitted to the Circulation Department. Loan History Application
FAQs on Privacy and your Loan History
1. Is My library record private? Yes, in most cases. The Library does not reveal details about your account to anyone without your permission. The only exception is if the Library were ordered to do so by a court. The Library can, of course, use your patron record to help recover overdue materials.
2. How often does the Library receive such court orders? Almost never. The library has not received any kind of court order for library records in many years. The Library has never received a court order under the USA Patriot Act. It is possible under a court order that the Library may not be allowed to tell you your records were released.
3. How much information about me does the Library have? We keep only enough information about you to ensure our materials are returned and to determine your identity. We have your library card number, name, phone number, address, email address (if you have given it to us), your date of birth (to differentiate among people with the same name). We have a record of what you currently have checked out, any materials for which you owe fines, and any holds you have. We do not have a record of materials checked out and returned, unless you have specifically requested that we keep your loan history on file.
4. Aren’t library records public records by law, since the Library is a public agency? Yes, but libraries are allowed to exempt information about patrons which allows specific materials and/or has their address or phone number. It is public information whether or not a person has a library card.
Do you have a great idea for a program or event that you think the Corvallis-Benton County Public Library would like to sponsor or co-sponsor? If so, fill out this event proposal form (pdf). A library staff member will get back to you in 5-7 business days. Please note: for proposals at our Alsea, Monroe, or Philomath libraries, contact those locations directly.
Facility Needs Assessment
In November 2017, Hacker Architects completed a Facility Needs Assessment of the Corvallis Library Facility and Library Block. Their recommendations are currently being discussed and opportunities for public input are coming soon. Read their recommendations here.
- We do not charge late fines on any overdue materials. We do assess fees for lost or damaged items. Please visit our Fine Free FAQ page for more information.
- When you owe $25.00 on your account, you will not be able to use your card until you bring the total under $25.00.
- Replacement charges are applied when items are damaged or not returned.
Please visit the Friends of the Library webpage.
- You may place a hold on an item at any Library catalog computer, online via the Library Catalog, or by calling Circulation at 766-6926 and have your Library Card bar code number ready.
- You will receive an automated notification when your item has arrived.
- You have 8 days to pick up your hold.
- You may have 99 items on reserve on your card at any one time.
Corvallis-Benton County Public Library Advisory Board Purpose Statement (from CORVALLIS MUNICIPAL CODE 1.16.220)
A Corvallis-Benton County Public Library Board is hereby created. The Board shall consist of ten members. Five shall be appointed by the Mayor. The Benton County Board of Commissioners shall appoint five members to the Board. The Board shall advise City Council on all matters pertaining to the operation, expansion, and level of service provided by the library. In addition, the Board shall have all of the powers and duties authorized by state and city laws. This Chapter shall not be construed to prevent those members of the Board appointed by the Board of Commissioners of Benton County, Oregon, from acting simultaneously as the County Library Board under state law.
- Circulation Policy
- Confidentiality of Library Record Policy
- Code of Conduct on Library Premise Policy
- Gift and Donation Policy
- Internet Access Policy
- Library Displays, Exhibits and Bulletin Board Policy
- Library Meeting Rooms Policy
- Photography Policy
- Selection and Discarding of Materials Policy
- 2010 Trust Fund Policy
Enrich, Excite, Explore!
The Corvallis-Benton County Public Library will be an inspiring and vital part of the lives of people of all ages and backgrounds in our communities. We will:
- Be responsive, flexible and innovative in providing resources and services that enhance the quality of life for all
- Foster an impassioned spirit of exploration and discovery
- Strengthen our sense of community by encouraging civic and cultural engagement
- Support learning and knowledge
As long as there are no holds on your items, you may renew:
- online using your library card number and pin.
- by phone by calling 766-6926 and have your Library Card bar code number ready.
- by taking your items to the self check system of any Corvallis-Benton County Public Library locations.
Our Strategic Plan covers 2016 – 2021.